Saturday 2 February 2013

Stressed Out!

Normally, when I make a decision, I don't second-guess myself. I decide on a course and it gets done (not always quickly!) But  I was lying in bed a couple of hours ago and thinking about how much work it's going to be to move. Not so much the readying of the house, or even the actual move, I'm mostly concerned about what to do with our cats. My plan all along has been to rent a small apartment for a couple of months while the house is on the market (hopefully it won't be longer than that!) My husband and I would take turns staying there with the cats, and it would also give us a place to store our excess stuff so the house is less crowded, airy and properly staged. I just don't think anyone's gonna walk into a crowded house full of kitties and jump to make an offer, you know? I also worry about the cats running off if the house is full of strangers at open houses and viewings. I know it's not ideal, but the only other way is to purchase the new house before I sell this house and that's just not in the cards! (Unless I win that lottery that I don't play.)

After lying around worrying about cats (clearly I'm neurotic, but I've gotta put my pets first!) I thought, 'Well...what if we just don't move?' I mean, it would make sense in a lot of ways. I even made a Pro and Con list (not typical!) Pros: -It would be way easier. -We wouldn't have to worry about the cats. -We probably won't be able to afford to be right in the neighbourhood we want anyways, and would likely end up on the outer fringe of it (not so far from where we are now.)
-We would save a lot of money staying in this house.
Cons: -This place is too small for us, and I don't love the neighbourhood.
I thought, maybe I'm being elitist for wanting to live in a nice neighbourhood. The pros seemed to outweigh the cons, so I woke up my husband and told him what I'd been thinking. If you knew C, and how much he hates change and projects, you could imagine his response!

I racked my brain for a couple of hours about how to make this house work for us, and thought I'd come up with some good ideas. I was kind of relieved to be taking the easy way out. I drew up some floor plans and everything was going alright until I started drawing up the living room plan. I tried every combination of things I could, using my existing furniture. I was going over and over where I could fit my daybed and my lamps and tables that I have in storage and I realized that there was no way to make it work. I would have to buy all new furniture for the room, and either get rid of the beautiful pieces I've had in storage (eagerly awaiting a house that they'll fit in) or keep them wrapped up in my basement, where I don't get to enjoy them at all. I know it seems silly to base a big decision on whether or not my daybed will fit in the living room, after all it's just stuff, but I think it's symptomatic of this house. 808 square feet is small! We've lived here for 6 years and we've outgrown it. I've always seen myself living in my favourite neighbourhood, in a (slightly) bigger house, close to work and friends, and I'm going to commit to doing it, even if it IS going to be a pain in my ass! Guess the easy way out doesn't apply this time!
(I think I'll wait til morning to wake up my husband again and tell him the revised plan. Ooops.)


You deserve a picture of a stressed out cat.





No comments:

Post a Comment