Thursday 31 January 2013

Greige.

I just got back from my quick trip to Toronto, where I attended the CGTA, a trade show for the gift and housewares industry. I also had a good time at the Mode Show, a jewellery and accessories show that happens at the same time as the CGTA. So here I am, back to -27 temperatures (-42 with the windchill!) and back to a house that my husband let fall to ruin in my 3 day absence. How that guy can create that much mess in that short of a time, I'll never know. It's a good thing he's so cute.

The CGTA was better this time around than the one last summer. I found a couple of new suppliers for the store, including a wholesaler that carries fairly traded Cambodian bags and wallets, and an East Indian supplier of beautiful home goods. Great pillows and small tapestries and bohemian metal and glass chimes. All the stuff I bought for the store and for myself will take a month or so to arrive. As far as house stuff goes, I was awfully good! I hardly bought myself anything! Such restraint, but I figure I want to move soon, so unless it's AMAZING I think I should wait until I'm in my next house. I did succumb to a gorgeous East Indian silk quilt and throw pillows, but you'll see why! (The waiting is the hardest part...) And I met Cobi Ladner!! For me it was like meeting Mick Jagger. She is a great designer, who edited Canadian House and Home magazine for 18 years, and she has a brilliant collection of pieces. She was very gracious and liked the motto my boss told her..."Life is short, have nice stuff!"

I did spend a bit of time and a lot of money at Anthropologie, where I bought nothing for myself (!) but many beautiful gifts for my friends whose birthdays are coming up (or have just passed, like my friend and colleague F, who had to work BY HERSELF on her BIRTHDAY while the boss and I were at the gift show!)  I did buy myself something I've been wanting for 2 years...a super cute portable turntable from Urban Outfitters, which worked great in the hotel, but broke on the plane. Heartbroken, but I will try to repair it.

Today I went to Home Depot to choose my staging colours. I bought a gallon of Behr's "Chocolate Froth" which I'm hoping will be the ideal colour for the foyer, hallway, living room and dining room. It's pretty much just a pale greige. I'll try it in the foyer first, and I think it'll work out. Hopefully I'll be able to start painting on Sunday, so as soon as I'm done, I'll post some exciting greige photos! Here's a sample of the colour for now...

"Chocolate Froth" by Behr.

Cobi Ladner of cobistyle

cobistyle couch

cobistyle armchair

cobistyle collection







No comments:

Post a Comment