Sunday 6 January 2013

Anthropolo-joke

 I love Anthropologie, I really do. They've got some truly beautiful stuff, and I appreciate that. When I'm  in a city with an Anthro store, I go. I always buy something, but it's almost always something small or on sale, because MAN, the prices for 85% of their stuff are just outrageous. My friend and colleague J and I were at work yesterday drooling over their website (Ummmm....we were on a break. Maybe.) and we came across the Twinkling Trove Jewelry Box. It's not a piece that blows my mind, but I think it's nice enough. Essentially, it's a teak root box with a small amethyst cluster glued on top. Yours for only $198 US! J and I gave each other our best slack-jawed looks of incredulity (hers is pretty good!)  and then she went over to the pile of teak root boxes that we sell (for $20), grabbed an amethyst out of the rock box ($6) and brought them over to the desk. "So...this is $200?" Man, we are in the wrong line of work!

Well, I bought that box and that rock from work, took 'em home and glued them together. All in, you could make this project for about $30, including the glue. (I already had some silicon glue on hand, so with my discount at work, this project cost me about $18. And it took less than 5 minutes.)

My dear ol' dad suggested that I use a dremel tool to cut the perfect sized notch for the amethyst to fit in, and if I were to make one again, that's just what I'd do. This time, I wanted to make it like Anthro's, and their stone is just on top, not nicely nestled. I thought about making a photo-tutorial, but it would've just been a pic of me dabbing silicon glue on to a rock. Use your imaginations.

Here are the comparisons!

Anthropologie's Twinkling Trove Jewelry Box ($168 for small, $198 for large.)

Aynsley's Bootleg Bounty Box (less than $30 to make.)

This time I win, Anthropologie.









3 comments:

  1. Your on is much nicer. The box is prettier and the amethyst is better quality - deeper color and larger crystals.
    Found you through Pintrest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I always like to know if anyone checks this site out! ;)

    ReplyDelete