Tuesday 13 March 2012

Recipe: Penne with Spinach, Pine Nuts and Sundried Tomatoes

I'm typing as I eat dinner, which is so yummy I had to share how to make it with you. I used to make a version of this when I did the hospitality and catering at the West End Cultural Centre and it was always popular with po', starvin', travelin' musicians. This could be simply because it was food that didn't come from a truck stop on the way to East Braintree, but I like to think it was the recipe. While I am one for sporadically whipping up something delicious, I am not usually one for recipes or figuring out how to explain 'em (as my friend Lil A can complain to you about with great exasperation, at your leisure.) This "recipe" will feed 4-6, or one of my husband. All I'm sayin' is that it's a good thing C's not home yet, or I wouldn't have gotten a forkful for myself. And this cat would not be licking goat cheese outta my bowl. Don't worry, I was finished. Or at least I am now. Frickin' kitties.

PENNE WITH SPINACH, PINE NUTS, SUNDRIED TOMATOES AND GOAT CHEESE
Serves 4-6, takes about 35 minutes from start to finish

  • Enough penne (or your choice of pasta of a similar size) for 4-6 people
  • 1 or 2 packages of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, or a whackload of fresh spinach, torn to little bitty pieces. (This is why Lil A doesn't like my "recipes.")
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 1/2 cups of pine nuts
  • 1 cup of sundried tomatoes in oil
  • 1 bulb of garlic, chopped fine. 
  • 1/2 of small package of goat cheese (or use the whole thing...what do I care?)
  • Olive oil, as needed
  • Italian spice blend, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste.
  • One can of cannelini or white kidney beans (optional)

Put a large pot of water on to boil. While your water starts to heat up, throw your spinach in the microwave to thaw, or if using fresh, rip that shit up. Put a splash of olive oil in a pan and add your pine nuts and chopped garlic. Heat this mixture on med-high, til everything starts to brown up nicely and your kitchen spells like Nonna's house.

Dice your tomato (I like to remove the seeds, as I think they make everything too watery and bitter, but do whatever you want. It's your dinner.) Now chop your sundried tomatoes. Is your spinach thawed? Great, then drain it. If it's not, you've failed in the modest task which was your charge. By now, your water ought to be boiling. I like to salt the water at this point, then throw in the pasta.

 Once you've browned the pine nuts and garlic to your liking, now's the time to add the beans, if your using them. I usually do, but frankly it's a little more delicious (and a little less healthy) when I don't. Your call. If using the beans, warm them up in the pan with your pine nuts and garlic. (You can turn the heat down a little bit.) After the beans have warmed up (or if your not using them) throw in your sundried tomatoes and spices.

Toss your thawed spinach in the same pan as your pines nuts, garlic, sundrieds and beans (if using) and warm this up til it's the temperature you want it to be. Drain your pasta and put it back into it's empty pot. Now dump your pan of deliciousness into the pasta pot and toss it with the pasta. Add the fresh diced tomato (as you just want 'em warm, not mushy.) Now toss in that goat cheese and add salt and pepper to your liking.

Serve, eat and be worshipped by starving musicians or your friends and family.









No comments:

Post a Comment