Friday 2 March 2012

Maturity.

Every time I move to a new place I think about changing my go-to colour palette. Which is pretty much just every bright, bold colour you can think of. My problem is that I love colour. I love rich browns, purples, turquoise, avocado, orange...you name it, I want some. My colour choices wouldn't seem out of place in, say, Mexico or India but I don't live there, and I recognize that a lot of people view my palette as unsophisticated or immature. Mostly my attitude to that is "Fuck them!," but still, each time I paint a new place, the thought gives me pause. Part of the issue is that almost all of the artwork in my house is bold. Bright colour, strong lines, very poppy. I like how the pieces look hung on a wall with a colour pulled from each one, and in my next house I'm likely going to install a gallery wall as I have more art than I can hang at the moment. I've got paintings above doors and windows, watercolours still in their shipping tubes, photos awaiting framing. It'll never fit if I don't do a gallery wall...but what colour to paint it?  Of course, to me a white wall screams "I gave up before I started." A black wall would be pretty chic, but that usually works better with pale furnishings, of which I have (and want) none. A black wall leading up a staircase could be a solid option. (Get it? 'Cause black is a solid? Non-colour jokes, FTW!)  I'll keep thinking about it, assess my art, and get back to you. For now, let's check out some gallery walls...















2 comments:

  1. Go, go, gallery wall!

    Oohh la la - I love the mascot head collection in one of the photos.

    Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they're just the right amount of creepy!

    ReplyDelete